Android Development Community got blessed, with arrival of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, at the Google I/O just a day ago. Like rumors were pointing earlier, Samsung’s made Galaxy Nexus is first device, to get the latest firmware. Using which, latest firmware was ported to HTC One X, which we checked just today.
In this article, we are going to checkout official OTA Update for GSM Galaxy Nexus, which was pushed for all Galaxy Nexus users, by the developers who got the devices at Google I/O event, and without much delay, they uploaded same online. Latest Google Android 4.1 Jelly Bean brings out set of new enhancements, including cool gadgets among other cool features. While official update of your Galaxy Nexus Device, which was given by Google free of charge to all the attendees at the I/O event, along with Google Nexus 7 and Nexus Q Official Tablets.
The official update of Android 4.1 JB for Galaxy Nexus is scheduled to be out in mid-july, so you have to wait until that moment, if you are interested to update your device via OTA. This update is best ever version of Android, as one can expect, which we will checking later in the upcoming editions. This Official Android 4.1JB which we are going to check in this tutorial, is compatible with only International GSM Galaxy Nexus, and it is not compatible with any CDMA variants of Verizon or Sprint.
Disclaimer: Thought this ROM is official Android 4.1JB Build for International Galaxy Nexus, but still you have to flash it manually, which is considered as a risky process. Obviously this update would not void your warranty, and you can claim warranty even after installing this ROM. But we can’t claim anything about reliability of other risks about installing this ROM, which you need to take responsibility if anything goes wrong while updating the firmware on your phone. Kindly note that this update is not compatible with all the GSM Variants of Galaxy Nexus, but it is compatible with TAKJU mode, and doesn’t work for YAKJU GSM models. Means to say your device should be at latest IMM30D, to make it upgradable to Jelly Bean 4.1 update.
- Your Galaxy Nexus should be charged minimum 80% before you continue flashing the Ubuntu on your device.
- We recommend you to Disable Antivirus and Firewall program in your Computer, to eliminate the possibility of any conflict.
- We suggest to make Backup of all data the Samsung Device:
- SMS/MMS Messages with SMS Backup & Restore App
- Call Log with Call Backup & Restore App
- Bookmarks, Applications and other data with many apps, like Titanium Backup, Astro File Manager, and MyBackup Root apps. You can ‘NANDROID’ backup of ROM via CWM, from that backup you can restore ROM later, if anything happens wrong with the device. You should also make backup of your data and songs into the microSD card of the phone.
- You need to make sure that USB Debugging Mode is Turned On. Navigate to the path ‘Settings>Applications>Development>USB debugging’.
- Download and Install Latest Samsung Drivers from official website. Make sure you have data Cable available and keep it near PC, which is essential to enable connectivity of PC and Phone.
- Unlock Bootloader of your Galaxy Nexus.
- Your device needs to be already rooted.
We’ve prepared easy tutorial for you, which will guide you through step by step on every step, please take care while checking steps, and apply same to your device.
Instructions to Flash/ Install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean JRN84D Firmware on Galaxy Nexus GSM
Step 1: First of all, download the Jellybean 4.1 Firmware Package for your Galaxy Nexus to your computer. Download Link (Jelly bean 4.1 JRN84D).
Step 2: Now connect your Galaxy Nexus to your computer through Data Cable, then browse and locate microSD card of your phone. Once connected, simply copy the file downloaded in Step 1 to root of microSD card.
Step 3: Now, disconnect your Galaxy Nexus device, and turn it off, that is essential to put phone in boot loader mode. To put the phone into boot loader mode, press and hole Volume Up+Volume Down+Power button. Once boot loader screen appears, you have successfully entered the boot loader mode.
Step 4: From the Boot loader mode, select ‘recovery mode’ option, which you select with using the volume keys to navigate up or down and then you need to confirm the select with power button.
Step 5 Once you entered recovery mode, select the options ‘install zip from sd card> choose zip from sd card and then select the Firmware package you downloaded in Step 1, and which you saved in your microSD card in Step 2.
Step 6: Above step would start flashing the firmware, and this process would take few minutes to complete. Once process of flashing firmware would be finished, device would return back automatically to recovery mode.
Step 7: Now you need to select ‘+++Go Back+++’ and then select ‘Reboot system now’ option, which would restart the device, and after the device gets reboot, you can confirm your device’s latest firmware.
Congratulations! You have just updated your Galaxy Nexus to latest Android 4.1 JRN84D Firmware. If in case any problem happened during the procedure, do comment below, or else follow the Step one by one once again.Install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean JRN84D Firmware on Galaxy Nexus GSM,