The Aakash Series project is under the Indian Government’s Ministry of Human Resources Development’s National Mission for Education through Information Communication Technology. Yesterday, Datawind has announced the completion of 1 lakh low-cost computing devices for IIT Bombay. The Company won the international tender for the supply of Aakash 1 devices at $49.98. After that it was modified with Aakash 2 devices at 98,000. The next Aakash series tablet and that are Aakash 3.The Aaksh 3 is recommended with Data wind and offer 2000 devices at a price of Rs. 2,263($42.61).
The Aakash 2 tablet is the lowest cost computing device with 12 months warranty and accessories at only Rs. 2,263 delivered to IIT Bombay.
Features of Aakash 2 Tablet :
- The tablet offers multi-touch projective capacitive touch screen display.
- Device is powered by Cortex A8 processor clocked at 1GHz speed.
- It provides 512MB RAM twice that of the original iPad and 4GB in-built memory that can be extended up to 32GB via micro SD card slot.
- Running on Android v4.0 Operating system, handset includes Wi-Fi, Tablet supports external 3G and EVDO dongles for mobile broadband connectivity.
- Apart from this, tablet is equipped with VGA camera and also has certain features like G-sensor, internal microphone, speakers and headphone jack.
- Data wind’s recommended specification for Aakash 3 tablet are
- It contains an embedded quad-band Edge modem allowing for both cellular voice and data functionality.
- The external dongle provides limited coverage and the cost is as much as the 50% of the Aakash series.
- An internal modem allow the handset to be used as a mobile smartphone and also for internet connectivity with basic SIM.
The Aakash 2 is a full featured tablet computer that break the affordability barrier with the mission of bridging the digital divide. The device is sold as UbiSlate 7Ci. The Aakash 2 tablet has received strong reviews which got selected by Forbes Magzine in its annual impact 15 list of social entrepreneurs for revolutionizing education.Aakash 2 project completed by Datawind, 1 Lakh Tablets Shipped to Government,