How to Root HTC One V on Android 4.0 ICS With MoDaCo’s Superboot
HTC One Series is latest Android Smartphone range from the company, which has been unleashed during MWC 2012. There was three smartphones launched in this series, HTC One X, One S and One V. Among these three, One V is lowest model in terms of price and specifications. While it’s bigger brothers HTC One X and HTC One S Got Root already. The process has been successfully tested by many developers and user’s across World.
In the meantime, One V was waiting for rooting, and it’s wish has been accomplished recently, not another, but it’s Modaco who again made buzz with creating Superboot for HTC One V. It is to be remembered that same developer has developed rooting of One S and X earlier. All though these smartphones come with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich pre-installed, but you are able to install many Custom ROMs to get additional features or different UI over the original one. But before you would be able to install different ROMs on your One V Phone, you need to root your device firstly. In this article, we are going to guide you through the process of HTC One V Android 4.0 ICS Smartphone, it is not hard process, but you need to follow every step with care.
Disclaimer: Kindly note, Rooting your HTC One V smartphone would void warranty. Despite of this, this is risky process and your smartphone can even gets damaged, bricked, or can stop working during the process. We at TechClap.com should not be held responsible if anything goes wrong with your device after following this tutorial. You should try the steps at your own responsibility.
The Superboot by PaulOBrien (MoDaCo’s Superboot) will install Superuser APK on your phone. It will not overwrite the existing ROM on your phone, and it would be a boot.img when device will get reboot after installation. So lets proceed to detailed steps we explained below. It will work on HTC One V retail device, with S-Off and boot loader should be unlocked.
- You need to ensure that your HTC One V should be running on HTC Sense 4.0. To check the version of HTC Sense, Navigate to Settings>Scroll to bottom of the screen>About Phone. Check if there is HTC Sense 4.0 is mentioned, if lower version then you need to upgrade, and should not go ahead with this tutorial.
- Make sure that you have data cable, and also drivers should be installed. HTC One V USB Drivers Download Link.
- Your One V device should be charged at least 75% so that it won’t run out of power during the process.
- Backup all the data, SMS, Contacts, MMS and APN Settings and other data including Songs or Videos should be backed up on SD card for safeguard.
- It is mandatory to Unlock boot loader of your phone. Visit HTC Dev website to unlock boot loader of your HTC One V.
- Kindly note, this process doesn’t valid for carrier locked variants of One V, but it can be applied for normal Unlocked phone.
- Make sure that you have either WIndows, Mac or Linux computer running, as it is necessary in the process.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode at path ‘Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging.
I hope you have followed requirements before you move towards the detailed steps. Let’s proceed below, where we have summed up the steps to Root HTC One V.
How to Root HTC One V Android 4.0 ICS Smartphone with Superboot
Step 1: First of all, you need to Download superboot r1 compressed zip file, and then you can extract it to a folder in your PC.
Step 2: Boot HTC One S Smartphone in boot loader mode. To put the One V device into boot loader mode, firstly turn off the device, then turn on while volume down button should be pressed.
Step 3: Now Connect the One V phone to your computer.
Step 4: You had downloaded a superboot file in Step 1, simply transfer that compressed zipped file to the root of device’s SD card.
Step 5: It’s time to install the superboot file into the device. Please check and follow the instructions below based on your computer’s platform.
- Windows Users: Simply browse the folder where you had extracted file downloaded in Step 1. Double Click on the file ‘install-superboot-windows.bat’
- Linux Users: You can get the done same via Terminal. Navigate to the directory where file is extracted (Of Step 1). After that simply run the commands in terminal:
- chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh
- Mac Users: Macintosh users can perform same action in Mac Terminal. You need to navigate to the original directory where file was extracted in Step 1. Then simply run the following command:
- chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh
That’s it. Above mentioned commands and Windows method would take few minutes to root your device. If in case device gets stuck on the boot screen, you need to remove the battery and then re-insert. If still problem can’t be resolved, then you can contact developer for other help.