Install CyanogenMod 9 Android 4.0.4 ICS ROM On Huawei U8120 / Vodafone 845
Huawei U8120 aka Vodafone 845/V845/Joy is a Android smartphone, which doesn’t having huge number of users. But for those, who bought this phone, are missing something which other Android phone users are enjoying. Among the things which users miss in this Huawei smartphone, there is lack of Official Android 4.0 ICS Upgrade. Huawei doesn’t seems to launch official ICS upgrade for this smartphone users, and so users are hopeless and they have to stick to older version (Gingerbread).
But as you know, intelligent developers make possible which is not quite possible officially by companies. Thanks to XDA Member ‘joilaroi’, who enabled users to feel the taste of Android 4.0.4 Latest ICS Build, on their Huawei U8120 or Vodafone 845 phones. The ROM is based on CyanogenMod9, and features Kernel 2.6.32-0 (Which is based on the Psyke83 U8160 and Huawei JoeyJiao Kernel Sources), which is updated on 6 April 2012. The tutorial we’re writing here is most latest, and we have tried to simplify process for you. At the time of writing this Tutorial Article, there was some bugs exists and many features were not working. Here are ths list of those features:
What is Working
- Touchscreen, Audio, and WiFi
- SMS and Calls Working (On both 2G and 3G)
- Bluetooth, Accelerometer, Data GPS, and Signal Strength
- Launcher, Lights, Virtual Keys, SD card mount, and ADB working.
What is not Working (Bugs)
- HW accel, FM, and Camera
- D-Pad, in-built Wireless Tether not work (whereas other apks workings)
- Reportedly, some Apps facing unexpected sudden close, along with other bugs which developer feels to fix in future releases.
From the above list of features, you have clear Idea, which features will work on or Huawei U8120 or Vodafone 845, after flashing this CM9 based ICS 4.0.4 ROM. Please read our Disclaimer Note and Pr-requisites before you go ahead with the steps in this tutorial.
Disclaimer: This is not official ROM, but it is custom ROM developed by some third party developer. You should take care while you proceed with flashing this ROM on your Huawei U8120 / Vodafone 845. Kindly note, there is risk involved with the process, and even your device can get bricked or damaged during the process. We at TechClap.com should not be held responsible in that situation, please try the steps at your own risk.
- Ensure that you have already installed U8120 ClockworkMod Recovery 18.104.22.168 on your phone. If it is not installed already, then Download it and install it, for installation your phone must entered into Fastbook mode.
- Make sure to backup all of your phone’s data. You should backup SMS, Contacts, Call Logs and also your songs and videos should be copied to microSD for safeguard against possible data loss of the phone’s memory. You should also backup your Wireless and APN Settings at path ‘Applications>Settings>Wireless and Network>Mobile Networks>Access Points Names’.
- Enable the USB Debugging mode at path ‘Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging option should be checked to enable USB Debugging mode on your Huawei U8120 or Vodafone 845 phone.
- Ensure that your phone is charged at least 80% before you start flashing process.
- Uninstall or Disable Firewall, or Antivirus Software in your PC, to eliminate any possible conflict during the procedure.
Procedure/ Steps to Update Huawei U8120 / Vodafone 845 with CM9 Based Android 4.0.4 ICS Firmware
Step 1: You need to download the latest version CM9 Android 4.0.4 firmware zip package with Kernel 2.6.32-9-prf. Download Link.
Step 2: Download Google Apps for CyanogenMod9.
Step 3: Ensure that you have installed CWM Recovery on your phone as suggested in Pre Requirements section above. If it is not done already, we will teach you in dud course of this article (See Step 7). Then, proceed to connect your phone to your Computer, for that you need data cable and latest drivers. After you successfully connect phone to computer, then you can follow Step 4.
Step 4: The files which you have downloaded in Step 1 and Step 2, Copy them to root of Huawei U8120′s SD card.
Step 5: Now, you need to disconnect your phone, and then boot into the Recovery mode. To enter into the recovery, you have to press Power+Volume Up+Green keys simultaneously until you see boot screen of U8120.
Step 6: After your successfully entered into the recovery, we recommend to make backup of your Stock ROM (or whichever your device is running currently). You can use Backup & Restore option for make backup. Then, you need to select ‘Wipe Data and Cache’ option, which will delete your current ROM and all other data in phone memory.
Step 7: After creating backup and wiping data, you can again enter into recovery mode, then select ‘Install zip from SD card’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘CWM Recovery’ zip file you downloaded in Pre Requisite section. If Recovery is already installed, you can proceed with next step.
Step 8: Again repeat the options of ‘Install zip from SD card’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ after that now choose, Android 4.0.4 ROM File you downloaded in Step 1. This sill start installing files.
Step 9: If you wish to have Google Apps, you can also repeat these steps and select Google Apps file of Step 2., same way you applied different ROMs above.
Step 10: You need to wait for few minutes until flashing gets complete. Now, go back and then select ‘Reboot system now’. After reboot, you will see latest Android 4.0.4 Firmware on your phone.
Assuming you have successfully flashed and updated your phone to Latest Android 4.0.4 ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) Firmware. If any problem persist during the process, you need to follow the every step carefully once again.
Install CyanogenMod 9 Android 4.0.4 ICS ROM On Huawei U8120 / Vodafone 845,