Install CyanogenMod9 Android 4.0.3 ICS ROM on Samsung Galaxy W Phone
Samsung Galaxy W GT-I8150 is added finally among compatible phones list in CyanogenMod 9. The little Samsung Phone has got CM9 Alpha ROM. Thanks to XDA Member ‘arco68′, who developed ROM for Galaxy W after lot of hard work, which took him to develop ROM about 3 Months, in which he got device bricked several of times. But finally he succeed to complete the initial development of CM9 ROM for Galaxy W Phone.
Samsung Galaxy W users were thinking that they would not able to see the Ice Cream Sandwich and its features on their phone, but it got possible with the efforts of XDA member. The CM9 Alpha ROM is currently under stage of ‘Alpha’, but reportedly working most of the features. Here are the list of What is Working and What is not working in this ICS ROM.
- Wi-Fi connectivity, along with GPS and Bluetooth
- Audio and Sound.
- Calling funtions, including call out and call in.
- USB Mass Storage, HW accelerated GUI and video.
- Camera is not working at the moment, but it would expected to rectified in future releases of this ROM.
- FM Radio is also not working, so you will not able to listen to your favorite programs.
- Bluetooth Calls Sound is not working yet, and USB tethering also not.
Disclaimer: We at TechClap.com doesn’t offer any guaranteed, warranty or liability on this tutorial. The ROM is not officially released by Samsung, but developed by third party developer. Many features will stop working, if you will install this ROM, however many new features you will able to enjoy. But, this is risky process, and we should not be responsible if your device gets bricked, damaged or become non-functional after using this tutorial article. Please try the steps at your own risk and responsibility.
- Download Latest Drivers, if you have not done already, and arrange data cable.
- Download AppBak, and then run the app and save it.
- Make Sure that battery of the phone is charged more than 75% before starting with the process.
- We recommend you to take Backup all your data, including SMS, Data, Call Logs, Contacts, APN and MMS Settings, and everything else, as this method would wipe all the data from the phone. You can download and install following Apps for Backup:
- SMS Backup and Restore
- Call Logs Backup and Restore
- Disable Antivirus Apps in your device, to eliminate the conflict.
- Turn USB Debugging Mode ON, which can be done at path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. You need to disconnect the phone from computer to enable the USB debugging mode.
Are you ready? So lets move to the procedures of ICS Update and Rooting.
How to Install CyanogenMod9 Android 4.0.3 ICS ROM on Samsung Galaxy W GT-I8150 Phone
Step 1: Before doing anything, you need to Install CWM5 Recovery on your phone. Please note that you can use only CWM5 Recovery, if you have installed any other recovery, then you should replace it with CWM5, otherwise you phone can get bricked.
Step 2: Download CM9 for Samsung Galaxy W, and save it into a location in your hard disk drive of your PC.
Step 3: Enter into recovery, by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power button.
Step 4: After entering into recovery, you can navigate on the screen with the help of Volume buttons, and Power Button would be used to select any option on screen.
Step 5: You need to flash the file you have downloaded in Step 2. To get this done, turn off your Samsung Galaxy W, and then reboot into the recovery mode.
Step 6: Tap and Select ‘Install zip from SDcard option, then ‘Choose ZIP from SDcard;. This will flash CM9 Android 4.0 ICS ROM on your Samsung Galaxy W, which will take few minutes to complete the process.
Step 7: After the process of Step 6, same way you have to flash Gapps (Download Link.) which is mandatory to flash after every time CM9 gets formatted or previous add-ons gets wiped.
Step 8: Now you can reboot your phone. Then ‘Go Back’ and select ‘Reboot System Now’. After reboot, you can do setup of Google Account, and also can go ahead with backup apps to restore your most of data.
Congrats! you are rocking CM9 Based Android 4.0 ICS ROM Firmware on your Samsung Galaxy W Phone.
Note: Developer has recommended that you should not try to restore system apps backup data, as it can break things. Please note that, if you are upgrading from previous versions of CM9, then you don’t need to wipe. The data wipe is only needed if you are installing a Completely Custom ROM or going to try another ROM, or doing major upgrade for your Mobile Device’s firmware. Developer has even mentioned that if you will try to restore backups, then it can break the Calendar Sync, so you should take care before applying the procedure. You can report any issue (If you face) to developer here.
Install CyanogenMod9 Android 4.0.3 ICS ROM on Samsung Galaxy W Phone,