Update Sony Xperia Play with Android 4.0 ICS (Beta) Firmware
Remember last month? when Sony brought latest ICS ROM on their Xperia Ray, Xperia Neo V, Xperia Arc S. Most of the users enjoyed the taste of Ice Cream Sandwich of those phones. Though, most of the users have tried Custom Android 4.0 ROMs for their devices, while others were waiting for official arrival of ICS Update. Well, it is not late, that based on the user’s demand Sony is releasing ICS Updates so soon, to range of their devices. After Xperia Ray, Neo V, Arc S, next one to get ICS Upgrade is ‘Sony Xperia Play’.
Sony has released Android 4.0 ICS ROM for their Xperia Play (PlayStation Certified Device), which would enable their users to enjoy Games on ICS Platform with super cool effects. No need to wait, the ICS ROM offers you Wi-Fi, Google Market, Gmail support along with some of other goodies. Hopefully, OTA Update would go live soon as company pushed it for all users, whenever they finishes development of final ROM. But, you can upgrade right now, to enjoy the taste of ICS. The process of upgrade is bit tricky, but we have tried to make that process simple, so that you can enjoy ICS on your phones easily. Hence, in due course of article we have explained every step to make everything easy for you to follow. Before you begin, please do read Pre Requisite.
Disclaimer: The Tutorial is meant for educational purposes, and assumes that you have Sony Xperia Play (Unlocked) device. Please note that this tutorial is not meant or compatible with other devices. We at TechClap.com will not take responsibility if anything goes wrong after following the steps mentioned in tutorials. Though, installing this update will not void your warranty, you can take you phone to Service Center, if in case if won’t work after upgrade. Though, this update meant and recommended for advanced level users or developers.
- Sony Xperia Play Phone, based on Minimum Software Release version 4.0.2.A.0.42. If you version lower than this, do update to this version right now. This would ensure that your mobile is compatible with latest software release.
- Do check your IMEI No. If you remember that’s enough, but if you don’t remember, then you need to note down that before going through the procedure. Please dial *#06# to check your IMEI number.
- Next thing you need to ensure that, you have to check if your device’s boot loader can be unlocked or not. It is mandatory to unlock boot loader, you can simply check with simple process. Firstly Dial #*#7378423#*# and then navigate to Service Info>Configuration>Rooting Status. It should say ‘Yes’ which would indicate that you can go ahead to unlock the boot loader.
- Backup all Contacts, SMS, APN and MMS Settings, and all other data.
- Ensure that your device is charged at least 75%, before continuing the process.
Step by Step Procedure to Install Android 4.0 ICS Beta ROM on Sony Xperia Play
Step 1: First of all, Connect your device to the computer, and then you have to download DownloadInf.zip (Sony Xperia Play Android 4.0 ICS Beta ROM Upgrade Package). Then extract the files in Fastboot Directory.
Step 2: At this step, its turn to unlock Boot loader. Simply Visit this link and you have to agree with their all Terms and Conditions. Select ‘Yes, I’m sure’ and then accept legal terms. After that you need to enter your Email Address, First 14 digits of IMEI Number of your phone, after that you can submit the form.
Step 3: You will see displayed unlock boot loader key, which you can note down for later use. This is unique Unlock code which can be achieved after entering the required details
Step 4: Now, you need to open Fast Boot Loader folder and have to enter it. Now, don’t be confused, simply flash these files using these three commands:
- fastboot flash boot ..FastbootXperia_PLAY_ICS_betaboot.img
- fastboot flash userdata ..FastbootXperia_PLAY_ICS_betauserdata.img
- fastboot flash system ..FastbootXperia_PLAY_ICS_betasystem.img
Step 5: Reboot the ‘Sony Xperia Play’ and now you are running latest Android 4.0 ICS Beta on your gaming phone.
Note: I hope you have successfully flashed your Sony Xperia Play on latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Beta ROM. If your device get stuck at boot up, remove the battery, and then re-insert, and after that you need to follow the same procedure again.