How to Install CyanogenMod 9 ICS 4.0.3 ROM on Motorola Milestone XT720
Motorola Milestone XT720 was a great budget priced phone. It featured a 600Mhz processor with PowerVR GPU. The best feature of phone was 8MP camera that presented great quality pics. Milestone was shipped with Android 2.1 Froyo. Recently, a XDA developer forum member mchlbenner has successfully ported Android 4.0.3 IceCream Sandwich CyanogenMod 9 ROM on it. Well, right now camera, Video and tethering are not working.
Disclaimer: Rooting and installing custom Firmware voids warranty of your device. We at TechClap.com or the developers are not responsible for any kind of issues caused during following this procedure. However, this tutorial is created after testing and ensuring that everything works fine.
- A PC with latest connectivity drivers of you phone and data cable.
- Rooted Motorola Milestone with Recovery mode installed.
- We suggest a full backup of your device. Backup SMS, call logs, contacts, pics, videos, personal files, internet access points settings, other settings. Backup you current ROM using Recovery mode or ROM manager.
- Disable or uninstall Antivirus or Firewall to avoid any security issues while updating the firmware.
- Enable USB debugging on your Device. Go to “settings>>Application>>Development>>USB debugging”. Check the USB debugging option.
- Download the Cyanogen Mod 9 Custom ICS Firmware Here .
How to flash CM9 Android ICS ROM to Motorola Milestone using recovery:
- Connect your phone to computer and transfer the zip file(Download in Pre requisite section step 6) to Root of your phone’s SD card.
- Now, power off your Moto Milestone and start it into recovery mode. You will need to press Volume up and power button simultaneously to enter fastboot mode where you can select recovery option.
- Once you are in the Recovery mode selects “Wipe data/factory reset” and “Wipe Cache partition”.
- When you successfully erase cache and data, you can select “install zip from SD card”. Now, select “Chose Zip from SD card”. Select the zip file we have transferred in step 1.
- The device will start installing the new ROM from ZIP file, it will take 5-7 minutes for procedure to complete. Once done and confirmed you can go back to start menu by selecting “+++Go Back+++”. And lastly select “Reboot System Now”.
- You will be welcomed by new ROM and user interface. You can still confirm by going to “Settings>>About phone >>Firmware Version” you will see that Android 4.0.X will be installed.
Note: Please create a backup of your current ROM using recovery before following the process. If device hangs on boot screen, take out the battery and reinsert. Follow the procedure again to install the ICS ROM. If you still cannot make it work you can install your current ROM you backed up. You can report your issues here.
How to Install CyanogenMod 9 ICS 4.0.3 ROM on Motorola Milestone XT720,