Root Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII SCH-i535 and Install Clockworkmod Recovery
Samsung devices are usually very easy to root, as per some developers. The reason behind this fact is that they comes by-default with boot loader unlocked. As you might be already aware that you need to unlock bootloader of HTC and Sony Device, which can be done at their respective websites officially. Just recently, Verizon Galaxy SIII SCH-i535 was released, which came with bootloader unlocked, that made the fact that it is not easily rooted directly.
But, nothing to worry, all thanks to XDA Recognized Member ‘invisiblek’ for posting Root and Recovery Guide for Samsung Galaxy SIII SCH-i535 Device. Developer has all collected files to root the phone, and then also install recovery on the device, which would open you ways to install many other ROMs as possible. This has opened ways for developers also, who can now work to develop and test ROMs on Verizon variant of S3 device. This Procedure is almost similar to other variants, but requires to perform some additional steps, due to locked boot loader. So, you can easily flash ClockworkMod recovery also on your device, after rooting it, as long as you follow instructions in this tutorial.
Disclaimer: Please note that this guide is compatible with only Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 i535, and it is no way compatible with other US variant of International version. If you’re unsure, then you can check in Settings>About Phone and make sure that your phone is displaying SCH-i535. Please aware that this process is considered risky, and is not recommended, if you don’t know pros and cons of Rooting and ClockworkModRecovery, because it is not generally required by every user. Please only proceed to do it, if you understand about them. Neither TechClap.com nor Developer should be held responsible if anything goes wrong after performing the steps in this tutorial. Please try the steps at your own risk.
- Your Samsung Galaxy S3 should be charged minimum 80% before you continue flashing the ICS firmware on your device.
- We recommend you to Disable Antivirus and Firewall program in your Computer, to eliminate the any conflict.
- We suggest to manually make Backup of all data the Samsung Device:
- SMS/MMS Messages with SMS Backup & Restore App
- Call Log with Call Backup & Restore App
- Bookmarks, Applications and other data with many apps, like Titanium Backup, Astro File Manager, and MyBackup Root apps. You can ‘NANDROID’ backup of ROM via CWM, from that backup you can restore ROM later, if anything happens wrong with the device. You should also make backup of your data and songs into the microSD card of the phone.
- You need to make sure that USB Debugging Mode is Turned On. Navigate to the path ‘Settings>Applications>Development>USB debugging’.
- Download and Install Samsung Kies, which will install Drivers on your computer. Make sure you have data Cable available and keep it near PC, which is essential to enable connectivity of PC and Phone.
- ClockworkMod recovery should be already Installed on the device, and your Samsung Galaxy S3 should be rooted.
- Make sure that your Galaxy S3 is running on Stock Firmware, as this kernel will not work on any third party ROM, such as AOSP or CM9 are not supported.
Assuming that you’re ready with the requirements i have mentioned above, lets proceed to the tutorial, where we have mentioned instructions for rooting your Verizon Galaxy S3.
How to Root Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII SCH-i535
Step 1: Firstly, download Odin, which is essential in this rooting process, You can download Odin 3 v3.07.zip. Extract the contents of Odin Package to the computer’s hard drive. You will get a Odin307 folder, which contains 4 files.
Step 2: Now download, other needed files to achieve root, which we’ll flash later with Odin only:
Step 3: Now, you should shut down/ turn off your Samsung Galaxy S3 device, then you need to reboot into Download mode.
Step 4: To put phone into Download mode, press and then hold Volume Down+Home+Power button until screen starts up, then you must press Volume Up which make phone into the Download mode.
Step 5: Now, run the Odin3_v3.07.exe which can be found in the folder you extracted in Step 1.
Step 9: It’s time to flash the kernel. Now, just click on ‘Start Button’ on the Odin Interface, and which will start the process of flashing blank.system.img.tar on your phone. If you got stucked after clicking Start button, or you got FAIL message with ‘Red’ color background, then just Disconnect phone from computer, Exit the Odin, remove the battery and then re-insert, now turn on the phone in the Download mode, and re-apply the process again.
Step 10: If kernel has been flashed successfully, and your phone will get reboot and will display Galaxy SIII logo, if phone still unable to boot, then Simply follow all the steps again, same like explained in Step 9.
Step 11: Now, exit the Odin, and again open it back. Now, once again Open PDA and now select rooted.system.img.tar which was downloaded in Step 2.
Step 12: Now click, start button to start flashing process, and you know that your phone would get reboot automatically once again, then you can disconnect the phone from computer. Now your phone should boot up properly and now you can check if SU app is installed, and you can check with Root Checker app as well.
Now, since you’ve rooted your phone, then in the due course of this article, we’re going to guide you to root your phone.
How to Install Clockworkmod Recovery on Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII SCH-i535
Step 1: Download Clockworkmod recovery Image. Download Link.
Step 2: Connect your device to computer and then Copy the Recovery.img to root of the microSD card of the phone.
Step 3: Now, you need to install and then Run Terminal Emulator App from Play Store on the computer. Download Link.
Step 4: In the Terminal Emulator, just type su and hit the Enter button on your PC’s keyboard. Now, just tap on the Allow button, which would ask you to grant root access to the Terminal Emulator App, on the interface.
Step 5: Now, just type the Command, which will flash ClockworkMod recovery on your Verizon Galaxy S3:
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
Step 6: Now, you should reboot into recovery, simply run following command:
That’s it! You’ve successfully installed Clockworkmod Recovery after Rooting your device. Do let’s know if you’ve faced any problem in comments section below, we’ll do best to resolve issue.